Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm on to them..........

I don't want to spoil it for everyone- but I think the truth needs to be heard.

Since we have embarked upon this super softball mania that is having three kids playing the same dag gone sport............at the exact same time..............at two different areas of town...............with just one mother to get everyone everywhere, I have discovered a few things that I think everyone should be aware of.

1.  There is not a Starbucks between my house and either softball field- nor do they serve it at the ball diamonds.

2. The only pizzaria in the little hole of Fortville is for carry out only............which translates don't 'plan ahead' by leaving early thinking you can make your night easier by stopping and sharing a pizza with your kids because you will get robbed and have to eat dinner at the other restaurant in said town- the dairy queen.  Although their ice cream rocks- I'm no fan of their dinner selection.  Apparently I am going to have to actually feed them dinner prior to leaving the house.

3.  When you sign up and you are told 'all you need to provide is a glove' what they actually mean is but every child will be wearing cleats, buy your own helmet cause you don't want lice- but buy the expensive face guard too because it's required, batting gloves really do help, probably aught to get a bat unless you want them to actually use the one provided by the team (and no one apparently does that)- oh- and get three different ones since all of your kids are different ages, and be sure to tank up the old car every other day because your practices are all over the city and each child has two a week.  Be sure to put all your items in a fancy bat bag too, just like all the other kids. Oh- and sliding pants- apparently the older kids need sliding pants.  Just a glove my behind.

4.  Other mothers will bring team snacks like apples and water.  They will give you bad looks and scoot away from you on the bleachers when you even think about making cookies that look like softballs.  They will not even care that you actually homemade them- that is still apparently not considered a healthy snack.  Whatev.

5.  Even though it is a ball game, at a ball field, Little League apparently does not endorse the beer people who come to the stands.  And, brace yourself for this, they don't even sell it at the concession stand.  Forget the tupperware fundraisers (which- again why are we raising funds when I wrote you dang near a mortgage payment last month and all of the coaches are volunteers????)- start a martini cart behind the concession stand.  We could earn enough to fund a small nation, if I were guessing.  We could even serve them in coffee cups so that no one would be the wiser.  Think outside the box baseball people, think!

1 comment:

Ronda said...

This is what they call "peer pressure". I've never had a pair of cleats on my feet, never had a batting glove on my hand, just recently got a bag because I've just recently begun carrying my children to the field. Seriously, ALL YOU NEED IS A GLOVE.