Saturday, October 25, 2008

A good day

I have been really struggling with my mom having cancer. I find myself just saying that word over and over in my head, cancer. That ugly, nasty, thing that has crept into our world, and now into my family. Cancer. But I haven't really wanted to talk about it. Still don't really.

The final word is that it is over, and it was in fact a good day. They were able to remove my moms entire breast, which in turn removed the cancer, and it had not spread into her lymph nodes. Praise God. So despite the part where they had to do major surgery on my mom, on my birthday, it was a good day. Good news anyway. Just the birthday present I had hoped for, my mom is going to be 'fine'. And she's home now.

Off to another topic- Sam and his multiple personalities, uh I mean, Halloween Costumes.

One day he wants to be a monkey. The next day it's a lion. Today- an elephant. "All you have to do is make me some ears and tail, mom" he says.

I am no Martha Stuart son. The sewing machine is not my friend. Tacky glue and felt are about all the mediums I have to work with. And even that will take some time!
Pick an animal- and stick with it. I can only make so many trips to the fabric store to buy felt!

I actually splurged this year and bought the monkey costume at Old Navy. Now I get to return it. Which some 16 year old sale clerk will tell me it's unreturnable- no doubt- and I'll get to keep it.

Truth is- I really LOVE watching the kids pick what they want to dress up as for Halloween. The fact that Sam has an idea and his own opinions this year is really exciting to me. And I don't really care what he is- I will just feel better when I know I at least have it ready for him to wear. Which is difficult when mr. indecisive won't settle on something. We'll just have to wait and see!

No comments: