Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ka- Chow!

Or KABOOM! It depends on how you look at it. It you look at it with the love of a mother- who desperately wanted to fulfill her soon to be 3 years olds wish for a 'Lightning McQueen & Backyardigans' cake- then you see love. yep, love.
Being the good mother that I am, I googled it and found a nice simple 'recipe' for a lightening mcqueen cake. I thought to myself "Heck, look how easy that is. I can do this". And so I did. And here it is.

I baked it, I carved it, brushed it, mixed frosting, and yes- I even propped it's ever sinking rear end up on that roll of wax paper. And then it hit me- this looks like sh*t! No amount of icing and chocolate covered doughnuts can save this car.


So I did the only thing I knew to do, I called Rebecca- whom I will from now on refer to as "The Princess of Cakery".

Here is what she did with the muffled up disaster I showed up with on her doorstep at 9am Friday:She is the master. And although this cake had roughly 14 inches of icing on it (she had to cover up my gorgeous shade of pink crumbs after all-which was the first 12.5 inches I might add) it was beautiful and perfect!

And later that night, as our family gathered to celebrate with Sam his upcoming 3rd birthday- I pretended that I decorated it, of course! (rest assured, Princess of Cakery, they knew better.)

But I did manage to make this without requiring any digging out from my friends:
My mother kept saying with a hint of amazement and wonder in her voice "Wow Mynde, this is actually good". Wonder what that meant?

It was a nice, simple evening- with a not so simple cake- to celebrate an even more not so simple young man. Whom I also got to play a role in making. One of my better accomplishments, I might add. For today- he is still two. My baby. My two year old baby. Don't you DARE say any different until Tuesday please. My heart can't handle it.
My sincere thanks to Miss Princess of Cakery- that master of disaster fixer. YOU ROCK!

2 comments:

Ronda said...

Good Heavens. I have to applaud you for even attempting the cake in the first place. Would now be a good time to tell you they have McQueen cake pans at Hobby Lobby? Nick spied them the last time we were there.

Your dinner looks very good. What is it? I'm also impressed that you've had Sam's party. We haven't even nailed down a date for Miss Maddie's. Poor third child.

Rebecca said...

Well I guess this makes me Famous?I'd better not catch ole Lightning on Cake Wrecks. It was a rush job ya know.