Sunday, January 31, 2010

Par-tay!

When Allyson was little, she would occasionally announce that she wanted a fancy dinner. It meant she would pick out some fancy dress, plan games, help me with the menu selection, decorate a special cake, and almost always put up decorations. I loved it then, and I love it now. Because of her, Emily and Sam will ask for a fancy dinner or party night.

Yesterday morning, Sam did just that.

Because I have been in such a craptastic funk this week, I welcomed the thought of planning a special evening for our family. Sam's only request- choo choo train shaped cakes (he knew I had a cup cake pan like that).

I made a nice dinner (chicken broccoli ziti- yum) that everyone (except emily) loved. We drank sparkling juice from wine glasses. We filled the dining room with blown up balloons. And after dinner everyone got their own bowl of frosting and as many sprinkles as they could handle to decorate their individual choo choo train cake. It was refreshing.

But why stop there I thought?

In searching for balloons, I found a few cans of silly string I bought at the dollar store a while back. What could be more fun than a silly string fight?

So as Ally, Emi and Dan relaxed in the living room, I took Sam aside and showed him my surprise- and taught him how to use it. On the count of three we busted in the living room and blasted them.

We were not greeted with the frenzy of giggling that I was envisioning. Dan was mad that Sam hit him in the face. Allyson was angry that we got silly string all over this 25 foot rope of weaving loom ties that she is concocting. Emily was just grossed out.

Until I offered them each their own can. Then they lightened up.

And it lasted for about 45 seconds or so until we had all exhausted our supply of gooey string.

And as I looked around the living room, I realized I've had better ideas.

Because it was EVERYWHERE. And it was sticky. And it was wet. And as it got to the end of the can, it no longer came out as a string, but more like confetti-sputtering and spitting sticky flecks of wet goo everywhere.

Dan and I spent like the next 1/2 hour trying to clean it up.

I don't care who you are, it was still funny. Even if my stick in the mud family didn't see the humor at first.

But based on the post-event clean up- it will never happen indoors again. Just sayin'.

2 comments:

Ronda said...

Wow! Now, that's makin' some memories!

Anonymous said...

Too Funny! EAP