Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Move over bacon..........

There is a new sheriff in town- and it is my new found shoes! As mentioned, Rebecca gifted me all of her too-big-now shoes. And I am in heaven. The new loves of my life needed a home- which means only one thing: clean out the closet.

Interestingly enough, I got a post card from the DAV and they are going to swing by Thursday to pick up whatever we don't want anymore. Bingo.

My first thought- sack up all the dirty laundry in the house and throw it on the porch! Then I could scratch that off my list too. But after much consideration, that turned out to be a fairly bad choice, so I thought better of it. Looks like I'll have to wash it afterall.

Then I turned to our closet. Ick. After too many minutes of simply moving things back to their proper place in my children's closets- I got down to business.

Any clothes with DUST on them, are obviously not being used and can go.

Anything that physically won't fit us (with a few exceptions of course) can go.

Anything that shows obvious wear, put in the trash.
The fact that I actually washed, folded and put these away just goes to show I am tooooo tired. $10 says my husband will try to justify keeping them. I'm not joking.

Back to business. Anything of my husbands that is tacky and yucky, gone.

Anything that has been piled up waiting on mending- relocated to a new pile.

Here is the pile I am hoping to remember to put on the porch for DAV- that is if I can keep my husband from putting back into the closet (he's baaaaad about letting things go-perhaps you will notice the cowboy boots and golfing shoes in the pictures? point made)


I rearranged for a bit- and voila- created room for all my new shoes!



Did you think I was joking??? Rebecca had more shoes that didn't fit anymore than I have owned in years. I love shoes- but I love groceries too so I haven't put a bunch of money into footwear for a while. And now........I won't have to for a long time to come either!

Dan is going to come home and feel all violated, I just know it. But- I will justify taking almost the entire top shelf of the closet for shoes by his entire shelf of hats-
Yeah- some real beauties in there, I tell ya.

While sorting and straightening- I found the box that contains this:

This is a strand of pearls that Dan bought for me a few years ago. I'd never mentioned that I would LOVE to have a real strand of pearls, but I guess he knew. They are special to me, because he picked them out just for me. This is the strand of pearls that I expect my girls to someday bicker of who will get. Not because they are some fine, rare piece of jewelry. But because they are special to me, and they are the ones I wear to funerals and weddings and store in the special velvet package inside of the box in my closet.

So- it took me less than an hour to create two bags of stuff to get rid of, clear the pile of shoes off my bedroom floor, and make an entire pile of clothes to mend. During that time- my children ran amok and have created an entire days worth of mess to clean up. I will spare you the photos. Just trust me.

I'm off to hide in my closet.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Thank goodness!!!! I too have folded those shorts and many times have come within a quarter inch of shoving them down into a trashcan but decided that I do enjoy seeing my daughter and grandchildren occasionally so thought better of it. (I also thought that if something so obvious was being laundered, there had to be a good reason??) If memory serves me correct there are a few more matching pieces in his underwear drawer and also one in your pajama drawer (you know exactly which one I meanLOL).

Your closet now looks like it has been on Clean House -- I am impressed and may run down to see it in person:)

And, yes, those are gorgeous boots and look really nice on your tootsies.

Let me know when Miss Rebecca passes the 8 1/2 size please:)

Mom

Ronda said...

You have hit the shoe jackpot! That's awesome!!!

And now I'm going to tell you to wear the pearls more often. I don't think I even knew you owned them.

Mynde said...

You haven't seen them because you haven't gotten married or died- hello!