Friday, January 15, 2010

Mindless Chex Mix Pot Potpourri

What a busy week. Busy about nothing- but busy none the less. I don't know where our time goes, but it does seem to go. So- I will now proceed to bore you to death with details of our week.
Emily and Allyson have began the Upwards basketball program. Emily is (obviously) a cheer leader and Ally is playing basketball. Miraculously enough, their practices are on the same night at the same time (thankyouverymuch) which works out perfectly! Games are a different story- let's just say Saturdays are gonna be kind of busy for the next two months. You know- I am a strict 'you can only participate in one activity at a time' kind of mother. I hate for the kids to get overextended or too busy- not to mention the stress it puts on the family when there are too many places to run to all the time. So, being the 'strict' mother I am- their one activity is the basketball thing. Plus girlscouts for both. Plus piano lessons for ally. Plus a club at school for emily. Plus a new choir thing for ally through school. Plus church activities. Yeah, I suck at this don't I. But look, they are not in swimming lessons, ballet or gymnastics. I think that counts for something.

Allyson won a reward by getting all of her reading goals met for the first semester. I say won loosely, as the 'prize' is a certificate to the golden corral. The golden corral. Let's just say I would rather cook dinner over a candle flame than eat there. And yet, yipee, we won! Maybe Dan can take her for her reward- they both LOVE it there. And what's not to love, 18 kinds of potatoes, greasy fried everything, and total and complete strangers picking over it all. Yum.

As previously mentioned, Sam got the birthday snack bucket this week. His pick? Sugar Cookies. When making the cookies with him, it became blaringly apparent that he is a sibling of all older sisters. His choices for cookie cutters? A star, a heart or a flower. And, interestingly enough, we mixed red sprinkles in with the mix which did in fact turn them pink (oops). So this proud little 4 year old took pink flower cookies for his birthday treat. Uhg.

I did manage to take down the decorations this week. With the exception of the wreath in the middle of the dining room table- I always forget something. Eventually I will drag it upstairs and put it away too. But before we took the tree down, I experimented with the coolest pair of glasses that one of Ally's sunday school teachers gave her. Look at this picture, it turns all the lights into tiny snowmen. I LOVE these glasses. And how cool that it worked when I put it over the lens of my camera. Did I mention how busy I'd been this week? Not to busy to screw around with the kids toys I suppose : )

I have in fact completed two more scarves. And look- they are straight! I even striped the one. Yeah- I'm the crocheting godess now. As long as what you desire is square or rectangle, that is. We are going to have THE warmest necks in town! Sam requested mittens- I laughed (out loud) at him. Mittens, hah!

Because Monday was especially hairy, I declared it Sundae Monday and made brownie sundaes right before bedtime. Anything covered in hot chocolate sauce makes a bad day better. And I make some really good brownies, mind you. I have my own recipe- very secret special recipe. I was going to type it here for you, but then figured what they heck- I'd just snap a picture of the box and you can buy your own. The recipe is printed right on the box. I'm such a chef.

And today- well today is Meat Madness Sale day at Marsh! I REALLY need to get a hobby, but for now this is the stuff that makes my heart go pitter pat. Stocking up on ground beef and chicken breasts. Who knew it would come to this? Hope you have a happy Meat Maddness Sale day!

1 comment:

Ronda said...

Emily looks so cute! And your scarves look awesome. And meat madness day? I had no idea that even existed.