Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dairy products and socialization

Being a mainly stay at home mom, I tend to stumble out of the house sometimes while still in my pajamas, no make up and hair in a pony tail.  It is always on those times that I run into people I know.  People who are not still in their pajamas.  Disclaimer:  I say pajamas loosely as I typically sleep in yoga pants and tank tops or t-shirts.  Yes, that Dan is sure a lucky man.  Moving on.

I will always be taken back with moms who are at the grocery, post office or preschool pick up line with their make up done, jewelry on and coordinating trendy clothing.  Sometimes they even look like they ironed their outfit.  Impressive.  Well, impressive to me who is glad for the opportunity to shave her legs more than once a week.

So last night was Emily's Ice Cream Social at the elementary school.  I was determined to at least make a good first impression on these parents that Emily will journey through school with and her new teacher.  I couldn't prepare myself too early in the day- otherwise the humidity would turn my hair back into a huge crows nest, my mascara would melt into huge racoon circles and my clothes would have food dripped on them.  No- I must wait until later in the day.

So after I started dinner cooking, I made my move.  I jumped the shower and picked out something other than my pajamas to wear.  I started the flat iron heating and I even put on some make up.  I can't make myself skinny by 6:30, but I can make it look like I might have something in our lives together.

I ran out into the kitchen to finish up dinner.  Knowing that once I got it finished I could pop back to the bathroom to blow dry my hair and iron it.  I was even thinking of matching earrings and necklaces- but I wasn't sure if that was too over the top.  Then Dan came in speaking of styrofoam packing peanuts, the neighbors house and Sam all in one sentence.

I grabbed my broom and went out the front door. I knew which house to go to as there was only one with white drifting snow up their entire driveway.  Sweet mother of pearl- what on earth could they have had shipped to them with THAT many packing peanuts?

Apparently the neighbor girl was hiding in said box and Sam and she were playing.  And then Sam accidentally dropped his 'penny', which is a large beanie baby coin, into the box.  The box that was full of packing peanuts.  So neighbor girl, being the helpful sort of 4 year old that she is, dumped out the box (of course) to find Sam's 'penny'.

And there looked to be running and laughing and blowing and wind and a level 4 hurricane- and voila!  Packing peanut snow frenzy 2010.

For the next 30 minutes I huffed it around the drive way (wet hair wrapped up in a towel none the less) with a dustpan, shoe box and my broom while me, the nanny, two four year olds and a 2 year old tried to capture all those dag gone bits of static clinging blowing around crap.  We wrestled most of them back into the box and Sam and I said our goodbyes and came back home.

Interestingly enough, it was 6:00.  A mere 15 minutes before we had to depart for school.  I plated kids meals, woofed down a quesadilla and headed to my room to finish getting ready.  I had just enough time to wipe the mascara from under my eyes, blowdry my mop and wrap it into a mess on the back of my head.

And that, my friends, is why I never stand a chance of ever looking like I have any part of my life together.

No comments: