Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Carmel Apple Butt Cake

This is not a cooking blog- nor will it ever be.  I cook because it is a requirement for my family to live.  Sometimes I actually enjoy cooking- sometimes.  Mainly saucy stuff with pasta.  Not so much beef.  But baking- oh dear I love to bake.  But this won't be a baking blog either.

But I have to share this, it is the right thing to do.
 THAT is an apple cake with carmel frosting.  Inside?
Pure deliciousness, including real apples, lots of brown sugar and a cream cheese filling.

I couldn't wait to bake this.  And the smell that filled the house while it was in the oven?  Heavenly.

And last night after dinner, when I served it to my family, they all gobbled it down like super yummy Fall carmel apple crack.

Which is why I am officially renaming this from what the kids keep calling it (apple butt cake) and it will officially now be known as Carmel Apple Crack Cake.

Make one today- it's the right thing to do.

Carmel Apple Crack Cake (formerly Apple Butt Cake)
(originally from Southern Living with some cream cheese apple cake title- blogged about by the coupon goddess which is how I found it- forever one of my favorite cake recipes in the universe.  the end)

Cream Cheese Filling:
1 8oz pkg cream cheese softened
1/4 cup butter softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla

Apple Cake Batter:
1 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
3 large eggs lightly beaten
3/4 cup canola oil 3/4 cup applesauce (used unsweetened)
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups peeled and finely chopped Gala apples
Praline Frosting:
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Make filling by beating first three ingredients in mixer at medium speed. Add egg, flour and vanilla. Beat until blended and set aside in separate bowl while you make batter.

Toast pecans in oven for eight to ten minutes (I did not use nuts- Sam thanked me). In a large bowl; mix together three cups flour and next seven ingredients. Stir in eggs and next three ingredients. Mix just until incorporated. Add apples and pecans.

Spoon two thirds of the batter into buttered and floured Bundt pan. Spoon cream cheese mixture into the center of the batter. Use a knife to swirl the cream cheese mixture into the apple batter. Pour remaining batter on top. Bake for 1 hour or 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set on cooling rack for 15 minutes.  Try not to get a fork and start eating it right out of the pan.

Dump it out of the pan.

Let cool for two hours. (Might I add here- due to lack of planning I didn't have two hours.  I let it cool for like 30 minutes maybe before I poured on the frosting and served it warm.  I will never do it differently- it was so good warm).
 
 For frosting; bring brown sugar, butter and milk to a boil whisking constantly. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Whisk in powdered sugar. Stir gently for 3-5 minutes or until mixture begins to cool slightly. Pour over cake. Lick fingers and pot (once cooled of course).  Yum Yum Yum!  Gimme some!

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks -- going to have to make one of these. By the way, as to the new name....is that as in 'butt crack'???LOL LOL LOL

Mom

Mynde said...

Good thinking mom- and quite witty of you actually.

It's now Carmel Apple Butt Crack Cake.

mary said...

1 word

YUM

mary said...

i just noticed, you used UNSWEETENED applesauce, good! that way this is healthy!

Anonymous said...

You wicked woman! =) You know I'm going to have to try this sometime soon and it will be so delicious that I will eat more of it than I should. I'm swimming in apples at the moment so this is perfect timing. Thanks for sharing.

Mynde said...

Wicked Woman? I will take that as a compliment : )

And yes- it is health food. Anything with fruit in the title is good for you.