Monday, February 14, 2011

The day for love

It just occurred to me that Sam no longer gives me anything he finds with a heart on it 'because we're in love'.  And now my heart is broken.  He is growing, and changing, and soooo not a toddler baby anymore.  He really is a little man.  Who says things like 'I'm so mad I just want to hurt her' and 'yay- I just defeated bowsers castle'.  How'd that happen?  His valentine party was Friday- his choice of valentines were Iron Man.  And he signed his name to every single one and found such delight in putting in an iron man magnet before sealing the envelope up tight.  It was amazing to see him able to do this all by himself.

In other Goble news- today I will be dropping off 48 non-homemade store packaged cookies for Emily's valentine class party.  No room mothers are allowed.  We just drop the cookies and run.  And I'm good with that.  She picked out puppy/kitty valentines, and a package of lightning mcqueen's for the boys.  And she sat and handwrote each one and sealed it with a heart sticker. She is such a sweet child.  And on my desk, a puppy valentine with the sweetest 'MOM' written across the front.  She is my sweet emily valentine girl.  And the cookies she picked?  Not the higher priced sugar cookies gorged with pink and red frosting or the sandwich kind. Nooo.  She wanted snickerdoodles- and the plain m&m ones.  She was certain everyone would like those.  I am too, because she is.

Allyson is old enough that they no longer bring valentines to school.  The teacher even reminded them that they are not having a party, and are not to bring valentines.  They did have a smencil pencil sale where they could buy one and have it sent to a classmate today.  My heart really hopes she gets one.  But she 'forgot' to buy any for her friends, so the cards are not stacked in her favor.

I Ally got 2nd on her science fair project.  Which is apparently the lowest assignement.  And I find this interesting as her presentation was clear, she photographed the results, she kept an accurate log, we used letter stickers on the presentation board and we made a freakin' graph with the results.  Am I proud of her for participating in the voluntary science fair?  Absolutely, I think she did a phenomenal job.  But I am preturbed that we she didn't score higher.  I bet it was a group of parents that did the judging- and their kids all won.  Boogers.  Next year I'm signing up for that.

Oh- and she won to represent her class in the spelling bee.  She was so pumped, and proud.  She came busting in the door to tell me.  We studied the list of 400 words, and we focused on the really hard ones since she is a fabulous speller and knows the basic words.  Big spelling bee day comes, she asks that I not come to watch so she won't be nervous or embarrassed (this was the preliminary round so I obliged).  Her word............STOOL.  STEWL.  Uhg.  Words of advice, practice the simple words too so that they don't assume their word must be harder than it sounds.  Poor thing, but she doesn't seem to care.  What a great kid she is.

All three actually just have my heart so full this morning that I am glad it is valentines day and I get to shower them with homemade heart lollipops, heart shaped chocolate chip pancakes, their very own box of conversation hearts, special love notes and tonight dinner reservations for them, me and my bestest husband at our favorite valentines restaurant.  White Castle.

It's gonna be a good love filled day.  Hope yours is too.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7  Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Good morning and Happy Valentine's Day my Darling Daughter:) This is Mom writing to say first of all, I love you and thanks for taking me to dinner Sat nite -- I so enjoyed it. Also, during dinner Ali told me that she spelled the word stool 's t e w e l', thinking it was some sort of super hard word. Now I give her a great deal of credit for her thought process since the word 'crewel' is spelled exactly the same way and her sounding out skill was excellent. She said if they had used it in a sentence she would've realized what it actually was and gotten it right. So, she just simply overthought the problem.

Smart girl (like her Grandmom:)

Mom