Friday, September 4, 2009

Nickeled and Dimed to DEATH

There is one true indicator, besides the new sneakers and the school bus each morning, that signifies school is back in session............my empty checkbook.

I am all for helping the school to have what it needs to do their job. Afterall, I believe that the job they are doing is one of the most important jobs in the world. I believe special tutors are necessary, teachers aides fill a special and significant role, and activities in school build character. That being said, let me add that I AM DYING OVER HERE.

First- we forked it up for book rental (X 2 this year). And the school supply list. And a new back pack. And then shoes. Granted, shoes was optional and something we just chose to do. The school didn't tell us to. But they can't go barefoot, or can they?

Then- we received the 'extra' list. It said kind words like, for those who are able and if you would like to. They needed things like sanitizing wipes, zip locks, etc. So we did, because we were able to and would like to.

And- now we got the third 'extra' list. It thanked those of us who contributed to the second list, and asked for other stuff like extra markers and rice for the play table.

Kindness Corner- please take a slip and donate the listed item to help our room. Not a big deal, but another $4 or so.

Not to mention- they sent home, the second week of school, an overpriced ($10 higher than last year) coupon book for us to purchase and sell. So that we can pay for a reading tutor. $30 per book people- ridiculous in my opinion (the price, not the reading tutor).

In addition- the neighborhood kids are banging down the door with their sausages and wrapping paper. $10 here, $12 there.

Due next week- each 4th grader needs to send in $4.50 for their annual magazine subscription.

Guess What- field trip, be sure and send in your permission slip and your money.

School Phone Books- only $3 each due now.

Don't forget- registrations for all the after school activities- soccer, choir, clubs.

Smile- picture day is coming up, be sure to reserve your $543 package today.

Your account is low- please send in more lunch money.

Allow me to introduce myself- I'm your room mom, pay $10 and don't pass go.

Mark your calendar- PTO is sponsoring a skating party.

Pick Pick Pick Pick Pick Pick Pick.

All in all, none of this is going to break the bank but DANG PEOPLE. Hang it up, we are dying over here! We've only been in school for 2 weeks and I have written more checks to the elementary this year than I write to the electric company in a whole year. I consider Dan and I to be a fairly normal family (not tons of money but we do okay), and what it feels like is that we are being ambushed from every direction.

I remember Allyson's first year in preschool- I was so disappointed that there wasn't a 'supply list'. All we needed to send was a backpack. I was bummed, how I longed to take her shopping. Now I am singing the praises of preschool. I just fork over $60 a month and provide my blonde boy with a backpack strapped to him and the rest is all taken care of. Not to mention, when they do ask for us to fill the snack bucket, we are allowed to home make the items.

At the elementary, everything has to be store bought and prepared. Nothing from home. Which basically boils down to paying 400X per cupcake what it would cost me to slap them together in my kitchen.

Notice to the school- the well has run dry. You can stop now.

No comments: