Monday, September 21, 2009

I am room mom, hear me roar............

So there we were, a library full of grown woman cramped into youth chairs around small tables cheerfully adorned with corresponding letters of the alphabet. Like lions lurking in the bushes.

Fake smiles plastered upon perfectly make-up'ed faces (not me, because I have basically run the mom marathon today and lost) scoping out our competition. The 'other' room moms. Wondering what tricks they have up their sleeves. What master genious they are going to produce for their rooms leaving the rest of us feeling inadequate and unworthy. Kids talk, and they'll know who's room they wish they were in. Who had to endure yet another candy corn race while others got to build airplanes out of real wood.

Waiting. Anyone want to share ideas that worked well? Like carefully guarded stock market tips, the best ideas are kept close to the vest. Saved only for 'the day' of the room party- then unveiled like national treasure.

Vultures. Clicks. Private conversations. Secret glances.

I could feel my heart racing, knowing I am not good enough for this role of 4th grade room mom.

And then it happened- I approached the other 'mom' who was brave enough to place a star by her name- and my world changed.

She is the mom. The one who has waited her entire life for this role. She's done it for years, fearing her child might get stuck with the lame-o room mom (aka me). She has stepped up to the plate, and she means business. She promised her child she would be room mom, so she wouldn't have to face the possibility of another boring room party.

I saw the heavens open and heard the angels singing.

Our ticket to rockin' room parties= this woman. And I am blessed to have her. I fully anticipate being told what items to purchase and what time to produce them. Room party done.

Ahhhhh.

1 comment:

Ronda said...

Add this to the list of places I will never, ever go. But if that's what puts the wind in your sails, go for it. I'm glad you got a good partner in crime.