Tuesday, November 25, 2008

As for our home

One of my favorite scripture of all time is Joshua 24:15. I know you've all heard it, at least part of it "As for me and my home, we will serve the Lord."

The 'favorite' part for me is what comes before that. I will never forget the first time I read the entire verse, it totally got me.

“Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the god your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the god of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

Here is me paraphrasing (do not take this to heart- remember, I'm no biblical scholar) "Do what is right, and honor and love God. Don't be like those worthless morans before you who strayed from the path, choose God. But if all that isn't for you, then pick whatever you want to. But all in this home, we are going to serve the Lord".

Every day we have a choice. And some days it isn't easy. And somedays we fall. That's what makes us who we are, I suppose. Sinners. But then we have a choice of who we are going to serve. I choose God.

And then I will serve my children breakfast- because the banging of empty cups and silverware on the kitchen table will have grown overwhelming. And then the dog- because he will be in the hallway barking. And then my husband- because if I don't serve him he might whine. And I can't handle any more whining. See- it's not easy.

Happy Thanksgiving. So very much in our world to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Ronda said...

I'm not sure I've read the whole scripture, either. It is really powerful.

I say serve God (and the kids just for a couple more years), but Dan can help himself...he's a big boy.