Saturday, December 19, 2009

There is not enough Vodka in the world for this much crazy.........

My mood is- well- less than joyful.

Today is 'make sugar cookies' day. And there is powdered sugar EVERYWHERE.
That and egg yolk paint, lovingly splattered all over the dining room. And I am trying really hard to enjoy this with the kids, because the love it, but I am just miserable today. Grumpy, hateful and tired.

Add in the fact that it snowed- and blech!

Because Allyson started at 8:14AM asking if they can go outside.

Then the little ones started begging too.

After the first batch of cookies were in the oven, I caved and told them all to get dressed.

Don't get me wrong- I'm all for sending these crazy people outside to pester the neighbors for a while- but it's sooooo much work.

Find everyones boots. Discover they are all apparently missing (probably in Dan's van- he's generous like that). Track down footwear, check! Time for snowpants. Being the first snow of the season- try to figure out what fits who. Snowpants on- check! Coats. Emily's is, you guessed it, in Dan's van. Give in an let her wear wool dress coat. Coats- check! Gloves and hats. We seem to have multiple single gloves, but not a complete pair of anything. I bought 423 pairs of gloves last year, yet they all seem to be gone. Finally find enough mismatched to at least cover 6 hands. Gloves- check! Hats- check! Allyson decides now that she doesn't want to go out. I threaten her with her life and tell her she IS going- she started this crap after all. And out the door they go, and I am now a sweaty mess.

2 seconds later- in comes Sam. He wants his toys out of the garage. I declare war with this small blonde boy- no way in hell am I going to have them drag everything out of the garage and litter it all over the yard. Back out he goes.

I slap some frosting decorations on their cookies while they are outside.

I can hear them fighting in the front yard. But at least they are outside.

In comes Sam for snowman decorations. Being the good mother that I am, I send him out with a rolled up tortilla for a nose and chocolate chips for the eyes and mouth.

I mop up the track small boy made when coming inside.

Allyson comes in to complain about the decorations. I send her back out.

Allyson comes in to complain that Sam ate the eyes and mouth.

I threaten them to stop fighting.

They continue to fight in the front yard until Emily finally comes in, crying, saying Sam pushed her off the snowman. And asks if I have the hot cocoa ready.

Send her back out. Make hot cocoa.

In come three cold, dripping wet children and all the associated stuff they were wearing.

Hang it all over the house to dry.

They take all the chairs to the counter to eat cookies and drink hot cocoa. I am sitting on a foot stool typing this.

There is cocoa and cookie crumbs all over the place.

I am just not happy. Momma needs a margherita.

And these guys have got to go find something to do that does not involve me having to do anything to help them. If only there were not still cookie dough in the fridge to finish making.

1 comment:

Ronda said...

We just went to the library and loaded up on kid movies. I feel your pain.