Thursday, August 13, 2009

The last first day of elementary school........

The start of the new school year is upon us and it's official, Allyson is now on her way to her last first day ever of elementary school. Our school only goes through 4th grade, next year I will have to send her off to the intermediate school (yikes!)I have found it difficult this morning to realize how much she has grown up. Just a breath ago, it seems, was her first day of kindergarten. However cliche it sounds, time sure is going fast.
Although I must say, the thought of her going back to school makes my stomach flutter. Not because I worry- I am positive she will be fine. But because there will no longer be this big bad instigator of crap. For whatever reason, it seems, when there has been a big ruckus in this house this summer (which is daily, if not hourly) she is in the middle of it. Will I miss her, yes. Will I miss the ruckus, NO.These are the shoes that Allyson had her heart set on to start the new school year in. They were popular way back when- I remember seeing them in the movie Grease. Dan remembers them from his youth. I personally find them to be a bit stupid looking. However, Allyson LOVES them- and that I find adorable. They make her feet look like they are 12 sizes bigger than they are. whatever.And there she goes folks, off into the wild blue yonder. Her backpack is supplied with the 89 items we were to purchase, she has a freshly packed lunch and her new kickers strapped to her feet. Take care of her world- please let this be a good year for her.
As I was doing cartwheels and the happy dance in my drive way as the bus pulled away, my neighbor shouted over to me. "Is she a safe busdriver" she asked through her tears. See- she just put her first born on the bus for the first time. I remember my extreme fear about the bus ride when Allyson began school. I'm sure she went in allow a few more tears to fall and watch the clock, trying to imagine where her child is when. Me? I went inside to finish my celebration and have another cup of coffee.
Ahhh. The school year is back in session.
Now- I will just try and prepare myself to take Emily over to the school in a few hours. Then it will be my turn for the tears.

1 comment:

Ronda said...

Those shoes are cute, but LONG! Hope she had a good first day.