Thursday, February 12, 2009

It all started with one man and one woman

Today we laid my Grandma Larsen to rest. Here is her family, my family. Just missing four in the photo-allyson (at school), a second cousin (in the bathroom), a granddaughter in law (working) and Grandma. Actually missing 5- my dad is not in the photo either.

Just think, one man and one woman- four children (one, my dad, already in heaven), eight grandchildren, and a whole montage of great grandchildren. Who knew. I bet she didn't when she began her life. Much like we don't imagine what our futures will hold.

At her funeral was her graduation picture. I wonder if mine will be out on display at my funeral? Will everyone comment about the size of my hair (it was the eighties people)? What 'items' will I have accumulated in my life- the special stuff you keep forever? Will I have had 3 children in my life or more? How many grandkids (dozens I hope- someone needs to pay these yahoos back)? I just wonder. That's all.

She had a full life, full of love, laughter and most importantly- faith.

I got to read one of the scriptures at her service. I'd never read it before. It comes from a book of the bible we prodestants don't keep in our copy. It came from Sirach- Chapter 25:1-11:

"There are three things in which I take delight- things that are beautiful to the Lord and human alike:
Brothers and sisters who get along with each other
Neighbors who are friends
And a married couple who are happy together.
Unless you learn what you can while you are young, you will never be wise when you reach old age. Sound judgement, good advice, and gray hair go together beautifully. Wisdom, understanding and sound counsel are appropriate to the aged and the respected. Elderly people wear the crown of long experience, and they can boast of nothing finer than their fear of the Lord.
I will tell you about the kinds of people that I feel fortunate to know, especially fortunate in the case of the last:
Someone who takes pride in their children,
A person fortunate enough to have an understanding spouse,
A married couple who are well matched,
A person who never speaks sinfully,
Someone fortunate enough to have a real friend,
A person that people are happy to listen to,
And the really great one: someone who is wise.
But the greatest one of all is the person who loves the Lord.
Such a person has no equal, because the love of the Lord is the most important thing in the world."

My grandma was wise and faithful. I will miss her more than I could express.

1 comment:

Ronda said...

What a beautiful scripture.